Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Most Disgusting Ways to Prevent a Cold

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry’s girlfriend thinks she caught him picking his nose? Well keep reading, there may be some perks to being a “picker,” if you do it right.


You can “catch” a cold or the flu anytime of the year, but it’s easier during the winter months. It’s not because it is cold, it’s because we stop going outside and stay inside where we easily share and spread germs. We also reduce our sunshine intake, so our Vitamin D stores plummet, and Vitamin D is essential to boosting a healthy immune system.
The tiny viruses that cause colds and flus need our cells to reproduce so once inside, a cold virus usually looks for a cell in the nasal cavity to infect, and a flu virus goes for the throat. Much like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, they pose as protein messengers and our unsuspecting cells take them in. Once inside, they overtake the cell’s machinery and use it to clone other viruses, (kind of like in Star Wars). Thousands of new viruses can be produced from a single cell! Those are then released to infect other cells. The invasion begins, even though you probably won’t realize it for one to three days.
It isn’t the virus that makes you feel awful, it is your body’s response to the virus. Almost immediately, a healthy person’s immune system will spring into action. Natural Killer Cells spray poison on infected cells in an effort to stop the virus from spreading. But if things get out of hand, messages are sent to other parts of the immune system that help is needed and this is when people begin to feel awful. The chemicals used to send those messages also cause the nerves to become super sensitive and that starts the general aches and pains you feel when you’re sick. In other words, your body wants you to feel bad, so you will slow down. Your body may also give you a fever in an effort to stop the invasion because viruses can’t survive or multiply in higher temperatures. Other symptoms of a cold or flu such as stuffy or runny nose, sneezing, sore throat, and a mild to moderate hacking cough also come because of efforts to fight the virus, not from the virus itself. (Look for an upcoming article that documents how the body fights off the flu. It really is amazing.)

Here are some new suggestions to avoid becoming a virus cloning factory.

WHAT TO DO
1. Pick Your Nose, but not in public please. Instead, each morning when you shower, clean it out with water. The mucus in your nose traps viruses and bacteria, but doesn’t necessarily kill them. Clean it out for a fresh start, but avoid picking your nose with your fingers throughout the day as germs can easily enter the nasal cavity that way.
2. Skip the Hand Sanitizer if you can wash instead. If you can't wash, be sure to use the sanitizer correctly. Sanitizers only work if you cover the entire hand. Most people rub it all over their palms and then quickly cover the backs of their hands. They may completely skip between the fingers. It is also tough to get sanitizer under the nails, especially long ones, where there is usually a plethora of microorganisms.
To make matters worse, some commercial hand sanitizers don’t really work! Marketers may make you believe that they kill all of the germs, but because of regulation loop holes, many do not.
Hand sanitizers should also be rubbed on for about the same amount of time as one should wash their hands with soap and water, so why not wash if you can? That way the dead and the almost dead germs are washed down the sink and not sticking to you for the rest of the day. This also reduces the risk of the almost dead bacteria becoming resistant to the sanitizer and morphing into superbugs.
3. Sweat, stress less and snooze! People who exercise, manage their stress and get enough rest not only don’t get sick as often, but they usually don’t feel as bad when they are sick, and they tend to recover faster. You can’t beat that! (Look for more articles on all three of these topics for optimum health and wellness.)
4. Get Some Sun. Getting 15-20 minutes of sunshine a day helps replenish your Vitamin D stores in the most beneficial way. If it is a blizzard outside, you can take Vitamin D3 supplements, or look for a “safe tanning bed” that can help replace the benefits of sunshine without all of the down sides. There may be some coming soon to a location near you. More information on that later.

WHAT TO TAKE
5. BE VERY CHOOSY about taking cold medication. These medications often relieve symptoms, the same symptoms your body gives you so that you will feel sick and rest! When symptoms are masked, people often think they are feeling better and continue on in their daily routines, compromising their immune system and exposing and infecting others. Also, because they haven’t rested, when the medication wears off, the severity of the infection could be much worse.
6. Don’t just take Vitamin C. Eat foods that have it throughout the day. Vitamin C is water soluble, so it doesn’t stay in your body longer than a few hours. Though studies have not consistently shown that taking Vitamin C every day wards off a cold or even shortens its length or severity, they have shown that Echinacea may cut your risk of getting a cold by more than half and shorten its duration by about 1.4 days. The great news is, if you take Vitamin C and Echinacea together, the risk of catching a cold is reduced by as much as 86 percent!
7. You Can Drink Warm Liquids. There isn’t a lot of research concluding this will prevent colds or the flu, but it may help you feel better if only psychologically. Just avoid drinks that have lots of sugar which may impair the immune system.
Try adding a couple of tablespoons of real lemon juice to a cup of warm water. Add some honey to sweeten it enough so that you will sip it throughout the day. Honey does have some natural antibiotic qualities and lemon is great for your liver, (the body’s big filter). The warm water is always great for hydration.

“An Invitation to Health” The Brief 2010-2011 Edition by Dianne Hales. Wadsworth Cengage Publishers, pgs 287-289.
“Access to Health” Green Edition by Rebecca J. Donatelle, Pearson Publishing, pg 525.

38 comments:

  1. I think it is very interesting that the body wants you to feel bad so that you you will slow down and let your body rest. It is also interesting that your body may get a fever to stop the invasion of viruses. Viruses can not survive or multiply in higher teperatures. There are many different ways to prevent a viruse than I was aware of. They are easy, great ways to help your body stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In an attempt to not disclose too much information that no one wants to know, I do clear out my nose in the shower every morning and have found it to be very beneficial. I still get sick but not nearly as much as those I associate with; who would have thought that picking your nose was a health benefit. As for our body’s being what causes us to feel “sick”, I am hurt. It is almost like my body is a traitor to my way of life. But, I will get over it and learn to understand that my body is just trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved the information about warm drinks. I always drink warm drinks when i am not feeling well. The information about hand sanatizer was also very interesting. I work in an elementary school that is full of hand sanatizer and i have often questioned the validity of sanatizer, now i have the evidence that I need. I found this very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it interesting about the cleaning out your nose every shower and how that can help you not get sick. I also think the hand sanatizer information is good to know because i work at a nursing home and there is sanatizer every where and know i will start to wash my hands more instead of using hand sanatizer. By Stephanie Ritchie WSU student in Healthy Lifestyle 1030

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the suggestions on what to do to prevent a cold or illness. Picking your nose was somewhat of a surprise to me! But if it works it works! I also liked the part on hand sanitizer. Many people rely on it too much when they have hand soap and hot water at there disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the most interesting article I’ve read about preventing a cold. At first, I just had to read it because of the title, but I learned something about cold prevention. I have always heard of taken vitamin C but never vitamin D, it is something I will have to try. I also had no idea about hand sanitizer not being as effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the part of this article that talks about the vitamin D because people always thought I was crazy when I said I feel worse when I don't see the sun after awhile. I'm sure some of it is psychological but some of it is not. My skin doesn't stay as clear, and I feel symptoms of becoming sick. I don't know if it's because I'm fighting off more viruses or what, but it's good to see vitamin D does help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this article because I feel like there is some many different things that people tell you to do. First I didn't know about the nose I think that is great and a smart way to fight of bacteria. Also I didn't know that vitamin C doesn't stay with you the whole day. I din't know you needed to continue to eating it through out the day to keep up your immune system. I do like that exercising helps keep you healthy from sickness. I do exercise and try to get enough sleep and eat right. So at least I am doing one thing right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. VIRUSES-I never relized some of this stuff how viruses enter and exit. I know it is very easy to get bacteria and ways to avoid it, but cannot always be avoided. Viruses you will never know if you feel sick and when you do it's because it is triggering the immune system interesting how it does it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked the information about the hand sanitizer, I have been skeptical of it's use (especially in flu season) this just confirms that washing is always better when you can. I also thought it was interesting that cleaning your nose out in the shower is a way to prevent sickness. I think the article was very helpful in a lot of aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this post as I felt that it put contracting the flu and cold viruses into perspective. I found it extremely interesting that the flu virus aims for the throat while the cold virus goes for the nose. I never really thought about where the viruses attack. Also, I found it interesting that it is not actually the virus that makes you feel bad when you are sick but it is your body warning you and begging you to rest so that it can heal....very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This article was very useful and informative. I particularly liked the information about the hand sanitizer. I have always thought as I rub it into my hands, how well does this stuff work? There are so many loop holes out there, usually the good-old fashion way is the way the works. It also sparked my interest in Echinacea, I will have to go out and find a easy way to supplement it into my diet. I just got done being sick for about the last two weeks. After that I would do anything to counter act the symptoms of being sick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting article. I usually don't use any cold medication, but it is good to know that masking your symptoms doesn't do much good. What is this about a "safe" tanning bed? I work for a dermatologist, and as far as I know, there is no such thing. I would like to hear more about that, because tanning=melanoma.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found this article very interesting, especially the things about the hand sanitizer that may not be as effective as we think and the information on the cold medicines. My wife is doing her student teaching in a 2nd grade class and one of the first thing she did was go buy a big thing of hand sanitizer to hopefully help not get sick from all the germs little kids seem to pass around, I'll for sure have to pass this information on to her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting. I think these are good tips. One thing that I heard is that hand sanitizer doesn't kill viruses, hence another reason to wash your hands properly

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea picking your nose could actually help prevent a cold. Also knowing that your body wants you to slow down explains why you feel so tired and groggy when you're sick.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have heard similar benefits to picking your nose, but not sure if there is really any medical fact behind them! One was that children who pick their nose and eat their boogers build better immune systems?! I also work in a medical clinic and have heard of people developing sores and staph infections underneath the coatings of dried nasal secretions- gross! I have tried the lemon and honey drink and a book I read mentioned adding cayenne pepper. It burns at first, but then really soothes your throat! Anyway, I have patients cough and gag in my face all day so any new home remedy can help, thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked this article because there are some things in here that I have never thought about. I usually just lather up in hand sanitizer at work while working with the public rather then running to the restroom all the time but I don't usually think to rub it for as long as washing my hands or even under my nails. Also the part about the dead germs sticking to me the for the rest of the day kindof grosses me out. I think I'm going to stick with the good old fashion washing with soap and water as often as I can now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also had no idea that picking your nose could prevent a cold. That's pretty gross. I'm sure that you're supposed to use a tissue to do that because if you do that with your hands it could only just spread your cold to someone else by touching things around you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This article really makes you think about the things you do when you get sick. I don't usually take any sort of medicine when I get sick. Maybe this has been to my advantage to overcoming my illness at times. Now the thing about the nose picking makes sense. I don't pick my nose but I have always been one to blow my nose anytime it has anything in there. I hardly ever get sick and maybe these are some reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it’s so interesting how people are brought up believing that you get a cold in the winter simply because it is cold. I thought it was interesting how we get sick simply through contact with our hands. I think people forget that it isn’t just the water that cleans you but the actual soup and the way you scrub them. I see people just simply splash water on their hands in the bathroom and call it go and walk away. This is so disgusting to see and it doesn’t help them at all but it mentally eases their stress I suppose if they make the motion of washing their hands, even though it is just water! I think I am going to go pick my nose right now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed this article. It was very informative and interesting. I am a big advocate of hand-washhing and I toatally beleive that it is the best way to prevent the spread of infections. I wash my hands any time I have the chance to, especially when I am out in public. So I am a little disgusted when I see people just rinse their hands after using the restroom, no soap or anything! So gross.
    I also totally agree with the section about being "choosy" about the medication you choose to take. I have been learning in my nursing classes that it is important to just treat the symptoms that are present at the time. Don't take a medication that treat a ton, of things. But a medication that will treat what you have.
    I really enjoyed this article and it got me thinking and taught me some tips to prevent getting sick.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never knew that the reason you don't "feel" good isn't the virus but our body's way of getting us to slow down so that it can get rid of the virus. It was a very informative article and gave me plenty of good tips for this time of the year. The thing that hit me so hard was the lack of Vitamin D during the winter and it is so true! It made me realize that I need to get out and enjoy the winter the same way I do durning the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found this article very interesting. First, I love that Seinfeld episode and it seems like my wife always has a cold and it's feeling well, especially during the winter. I had her read this post also. I didn't know a lot the facts about getting a cold and it was interesting to read that your body makes you feel sick to make you slow down. It makes sense though. I know that hand sanitizer is helpful, but I have also wondered, "Don't many of the germs stay on your body when you're just rubbing your hands together??" Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed this article. It is nice when articles are to the point and this was one of those articles. I am quite interested to learn about the safe sun tanning beds. Definitely want to know more about that. Also, its nice to know what your body is doing when it gets sick. Now that I know, I think it should be common taught knowledge to more people.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved the article; it had some very helpful and interesting suggestions and facts. I always use hand sanitizer when I am not by soap and water. It is really disturbing to think that some hand sanitizers really don’t work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good article! Always love permission to pick my nose. It was interesting to learn about the Vitamin D and its link to the common cold in the winter. I would like to know where to go to find out which sanitizers work and which don't. My childrens school is big on the sanitizer and I wonder if it is really doing anything?

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was a great article! I was not aware that it is not the virus that makes us feel terrible, it is our bodies response to that virus. I just assumed that it was the virus that made me feel sick...very interesting. Also, I was a bit annoyed that some hand sanitizers do not work because of regulation loopholes. It is difficult as a consumer to know which products actually do what they claim to do, and which products are worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I usually run throughout the winter, and I haven't had a cold in years! This year because of too many classes and being pregnant, I haven't been running like I usually do and I've already had two colds. I love finding articles that back me up because people don't always believe me when I'm not concerned about illness because I'll just go for a run later. Too bad I didn't stick with it through this pregnancy like I did with my others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think that is some really interesting stuff. I thought it was pretty cool that you should pick your nose...ha never even thought that was a good thing. But getting sun is definitely a helper. I think that is why we don't get so sick during the summer. From what I understand getting sick is from your body poisoning itself too much. I enjoyed reading it. BRANCE BROWN

    ReplyDelete
  31. This article was really informative. I found it interesting to learn that sun can play a part in preventing us from getting sick. Who would have thought! Also that lemon juice cleans the liver. I enjoy discovering what natural remedies and things actually help us to be more healthy or overcome some problem occuring within our bodies. I learned a lot of new information while reading this article.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have always believed that washing your hands is MUCH better than using hand sanitizer, though at a park or store when a bathroom with a sink isn't available, it will do in a pinch. I very seldom use it, I prefer to wash with warm water and good soap! The part about getting between your fingers is overlooked many times, I am sure, and so is the part about under the fingernails!! Who would even think that. Great article, with lots of good information. I love to drink warm drinks when I am sick and I love the way honey tastes, didn't know it has antibiotic properties. Nice to know! This was an enjoyable article.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think that it is crazy that the body wants you to feel bad so you can take it easy. Also I have always heard that hand sanitizers should be used, amd they are as affective as handwashing. I can't beleive that there are products that just don't work, ridiculous. Overall, this a great article with many great tips in cold prevention.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the great info. I am glad to hear that you are slow to recommend taking medication right away. Many people feel that they must always take something right away, so they never feel discomfort. Very good article!!!

    Melanie Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am glad and will now have my wife read this article because I too clean my nose in the shower and she has made comments about how disgusting it is. I don't argue with her but now I can say it is for health reasons. I also liked the information on vit. D.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I loved your Seinfeld comparision, its one of my favorite episodes but I always feel so bad for Jerry!
    I always clean my nose out, and my mom always told me not to when I was little, I'll definitiely need to show her this article. (She's going to have a fit!)
    I myself am not much of a hand sanitizer user, it never occured to me to get between the fingers though. Awesome tip!
    I think sunshine is good for everything, it definitely can affect your mood so why not your health.
    Thanks for all the great tips and info!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The kids I used to nanny for LOVE honey and lemon in hot water! I had no idea that sanitizing and washing your hands where so different. In the medical work space in health care, they only wash their hands with soap and water if their hands get soiled or visually dirty, and use sanitizer for dry yet unclean hands. Ladies, here is another good reason why fake nails are a silly and bad idea. They are gross. They get in the way, and there is a reason why you aren't aloud to have fake or long nails while working in medical facilities-- they are germ traps! I don't get much sun shine. Because of this I am super pale, and not all that energetic. I think I'll try and experiment this week and see if getting a good amount of sun will help me any. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have a cold right now, so being able to read this post has been very helpful. I never knew that getting exposure to the sun can help reduce your chances of getting a cold. Very good article!

    ReplyDelete