Thursday, January 21, 2010

Misleading Fat Labels - When 2% fat is really 40% fat.


Let’s face it, if you were selling a product that has 2% fat when you measure it one way but 40% fat if you measure it another, you’d want the packaging to read that there was only 2% fat in your product. That is how it goes in the food industry. But that kind of advertising is misleading to consumers.
If you care about what you eat, and you want to be a savvy consumer, you are going to have to learn not only to READ packages and labels, but how to FIGURE THEM OUT. As far as fats go, here is the skinny on figuring out how much of it is actually in your food.
Let’s say you pick up a package of hamburger. It says 85% fat free.Wow, you think, this is only 15% fat. That is low fat and good for my family. What a great buy.
Hold on! That amount is dreadfully misleading because
it is the amount of fat “BY WEIGHT,” not by calories. The advertiser is telling you that 15% of the weight of that meat is fat, not the percentage of calories from fat. Big Difference!
Remember fat doesn’t weigh very much at all, (that's why it floats) but it is packed with calories. Protein on the other hand is very heavy but it contains less than half of the calories fat does. Fat has 9 calories per gram, and protein has only 4 calories per gram. 
If you take that package of so called “85% fat free” meat and gaze at the nutrition information on the label, you will find a much different message.
Look at the label and find the number of total calories and the number of total fat calories. These are listed per serving. On the label I am looking at right now, it says 190 total calories and 100 fat calories. That alone tells you something. There are 100 fat calories per serving in this “85% fat free” meat!
Take the fat calories and divide it by the total calories or 100/190. You will find the real percentage of fat in that hamburger. In this case it is .526315789 or almost 53% fat! Now it doesn’t seem like such a bargain. In other words, 53% of what you are eating is animal lard.  (Quite a different story than 85% fat free).
Let’s try it again. I am looking at another label that says “71% lean” on the top of the hamburger package. But when I look at the nutrition facts I find that is has 250 calories per serving and 170 total fat calories. That is a lot of calories and here is why.
 By dividing the total fat calories by the total calories, 170/250 I get .68. That means 68% of this meat is fat! Imagine dividing the hamburger up into 10 pieces. Almost seven of those pieces would be just plain fat!
It gets worse with those big, inexpensive “family packs” of hamburger. Ever wonder why the meat is so much lighter in color and less expensive? Some of those packs can be up to 90% fat! Suddenly, it doesn’t seem like something you want to feed your family.
It is true that when we cook it, most of us drain off some of that saturated fat, (although many restaurants don’t), and so we don’t really eat all of It. But we usually don’t drain 53%, or 68%, or 90%, of what we cook, so we still end up eating quite a bit of fat. This is why it is important to realize that the labels are misleading unless you know how to figure them out. 
Another label I am looking at says this hamburger has 4% fat (we know that is by weight) so when I do the calculations, it really comes out to 29% fat calories. It is still almost one third fat per serving.
Milk labels read the same way. You may have wondered if there was a big difference between 2% and 1% and skim milk.
Well, that 2% fat on the milk label means 2% of the weight of that product is fat. Milk is mostly water and so fat is a small percentage of the weight of milk. Water weighs a lot, but doesn’t have any calories, so the calories you are getting are from protein, carbohydrates and fat. When you look at the actual label and calculate the actual fat calories, it comes out closer to 40%, depending on the cow that gave the milk. That means 40% of the calories in that glass of 2% milk are fat calories.
In 1% milk, it is closer to 20% of the calories that come from fat. (Again, it depends on the cow.) For skim milk, there are no fat calories at all, just calories from carbohydrates and protein.
This may seem confusing at first, but it is well worth the effort to do some calculations in the supermarket. Figuring out the real percentage of fat in the food will help you make better food choices. You can easily get less fat in your diet without changing it drastically. Just choose foods based on what you know, rather  than what the advertisers tell you.


6 comments:

  1. I loved this article! I had no idea how misleading packages and labels could be. I've always known that it is important to look at the label of a product, but I've never really known how to figure them out. This article has shown me just how important it is that I don't just read the labels, but I really need to understand them. I was shocked that a package of hamburger saying it is 85% fat free really is almost 53% fat. From now on I am definitely going to do my best to figure out the packages and labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to admit, I am grossed out. I have never really understood what the meat packages meant by 85/15, 93/7, etc. The only thing I understood was that the closer you got the first number to 100, the better. We started using meat that was 97/3 and I did notice a big difference in the amount of grease that came off the meat. I never completely understood the difference in the percentages of milk either. I guess this is a head up that I need to pay more attention to labels, and that I should investigate them more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I am shocked at this article. I was always confused on what the label meant by total fat calories and now sadly I know the truth. I am not sure that I wanted to know how terrible the foods are, because now I can't eat them the same.:(! I was feeling so good about myself when it said 85% fat free. This was a great article I am very happy I can understand the labels better and be more cautious about what is going into my body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I was one of those consumers who naively believed all the information given me on the food labeling. After reading your article I am frustrated at how misleading the labels can still be, I thought that I was taking one step closer to making healthier food choices for myself and my family but now realize that they may not be so healthy after all. Thank you for your article it has truly educated and informed me, so much so that I am going to start learning more about food labeling information and how to best apply it to a healthier diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative article. I guess I will be going from 1 percent milk to skim milk! With the world trying to become less obese and the food companies figuring out ways to keep feeding us fatty foods kinda angers me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article to introduce people to calculations of figuring out the true fat percentage in foods. I had to take an entire semester of Nutrition to learn something I read in 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete