Monday, January 11, 2010

When and What Athletes Should Eat


Many athletes, weekend warriors, and soccer moms who want their kids to perform well, want to know what to and what not to eat before and after exercise. What you eat does make quite a difference on performance and on recovery.
When we were living in West Virginia, we watched many of the athletes at the college where we were teaching struggle because they ate so horribly. The football players would get up and eat things like
steak, eggs, sausage, milk, biscuits and gravy, before heading out to practice. YIKES! What they found was that their performance suffered – sometimes plummeted.
Remember digestion takes a tremendous amount of energy - so it makes sense that you don’t want to require your body to digest much if you are planning to exercise. You don’t want the energy you need to play the game diverted to digest food, especially protein and fatty foods which take the most energy.
Many people mistakenly think that they should eat a meal before a game so that they will have energy to play in the game, but it takes about 12 to 24 hours to digest a meal, so the energy you are using today actually came from what you ate yesterday, not from what you ate this morning. Eating a meal before working out will leave you with less energy to play, not more.
This doesn’t mean you need to starve yourself. I prefer not eating anything, but many runners will eat a little something before a run, so that their stomachs won’t rumble and they don’t have hunger pangs. This usually consists of some easily digested carbohydrates like a half a bagel or a piece of toast.  They do NOT drink protein drinks or eat bacon and eggs!
Protein, fat, and fiber are foods that are difficult to digest, thus requiring a lot energy from your body. Do not eat those before working out or even several hours before working out. They take longer to digest, so they stay in the system longer.
The same goes for foods with a lot of sugar, but for a different reason. Foods with too many simple sugars digest too quickly. Many people think that eating sugar before a game will them “quick energy” to play better. But too much sugar in the blood stream causes your body to increase insulin production.
Insulin drops blood sugar levels and drops them quickly, especially if you are exercising and there is nothing else in the system. This can cause the person to go from a sugar high, to a sugar low. If you don’t have enough sugar in the blood stream, you won’t have enough energy to play. You’ll probably feel lethargic and slow.
This is why some energy drinks can actually cause you to have less energy. They often contain large amounts of sugar and caffeine. They digest quickly leading to an energy high, but then an energy low. Another thing to consider when you are exercising is that foods you have recently eaten are moved more quickly through the digestive system. When sugars are digested too fast, it can cause bloating, cramps, and diarrhea. Caffeine makes this even works. Let’s face it, gas and diarrhea can put a damper on any athletic event.
When my husband and I ran the St. George Marathon, we pulled into Cedar City at about 4 pm the afternoon before the race. We had fruit and a nice veggie salad. Then we didn’t eat anything else except water before the race started the next day around 5 am. This worked for us. The food was nutritionally superior and completely digested so that when we ran, we gained great benefit from it.
Many people talk about carbo-loading before a race, but few know how to do it. (True carbo-loading takes several days, not just one meal before the event.) It is mostly used for athletes who have periodic events that they train for like marathons, triathlons, and intense bike races, not for those who have games and events more than once a week.
The best way to eat - is to think about what you are eating all the time. Athletes, who eat well all the time, tend to perform well all the time.  Remember what you eat today, fuels your performance tomorrow.  This is also true for hydration. It can actually take days for your body to hydrate properly, not just a few drinks before or after a game. That is why post nutrition and hydration are very important components to optimal sports performance- as well as other activities like work and school.
After a workout, it is imperative to get enough water. Read the article Is Gatorade Good for Kids for more information on hydration during and after exercise.  Water has larger molecules and is not as easily absorbed by cells as you would think. That is why keeping hydrated should be on your mind all of the time, not just before or after exercise.
After a great workout is the best time to replenish glycogen (sugar) and protein stores in the muscle cells. During the first 30 to 45 minutes after intense exercise, your body allows not only the best absorption but more absorption than any other time. During this post workout period, your body will actually soak up more sugar and protein, thus allowing you to have more energy for tomorrow’s workout. This helps improve your performance.
Because this window of opportunity closes quickly, you should drink easily digested sugars and proteins as quickly as possible after a workout. Sports drinks and easily digested protein drinks are ideal. (Be sure it is a protein drink, not a meal replacement drink as those have a different nutritional purpose.)
Another terrific and inexpensive drink is low-fat chocolate milk. Low-fat chocolate milk contains the different types of sugars and proteins needed to restore and replenish that which was lost during exercise. Who would have thought something that tastes so good, could be beneficial to you? (Remember though, you have to work out first!)
What if you have several games or events in one day? Athletes who are in tournaments need to be especially careful. It is easy to eat too much after a game. If you eat too much or eat the wrong foods (protein, fat, or fiber) too soon before the next game, you will have the same problems we talked about above, (lack of energy, lack of focus, lethargy cramps, bloating, and yes, bowel problems).
 In between games, hydrate with a good sports drink (see Is Gatorade Good for Kids) and small amounts of easily digested carbohydrates like a small granola bar, toast, grapes, an orange, a banana, etc. Save the protein drinks and chocolate milk until after your final event.

 Other Articles
Get More Muscles Tone with This Protein

9 comments:

  1. I think this article is fascinating and I've never heard anything about chocolate milk! BTW I think that is the best idea in the whole blog! On a more serious note, I really enjoyed this article because I've never had a personal trainer, and so I don't know a lot about the "little things" such as the food recommendations listed above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this article. My girls are very athletic and what they would eat in between games was definitely more than a banana or orange. I will definitely use this article when my kids play sports especially when it comes to a day long tournament.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been very active. I was a high school athlete and have stayed fairly active since then. I always heard tips here and there about how to have attain the most energy as an athlete, but generally the info came from sources that didn't know what they were really talking about or didn't have the whole picture. This blog cleared up a few misconceptions that I have always heard were good for us. Recently, as I've become more active, I've really struggled with energy. Some workouts will feel great and others will feel like I haven't worked out in a year! The best piece of advise in this blog is concentrating on what we eat all the time, not just right before of after workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very interested in reading about this subject since I play quite a few sports and run in the ragnar relay race every year. I have heard so many different things from other runners and after reading this it confirms that they really don't what they are talking about. I did hear that Chocolate milk is good after working out so that is one I will keep doing and I will definitely use your idea of eating a lot earlier and healthier like you did at the St. George Marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned a lot from this article! I did not realize that it takes 12 to 24 hours for our body to digest a meal, and therefore what I eat today will actually be energizing me for tomorrow. I learned that 30 to 45 minutes after an intense workout is the best time to restore glycogen and protein levels, and that low fat chocolate milk is a good source of that. I learned that our bodies take a lot longer to process nutrients then I previously thought! I will definitely be trying to do a better job of staying hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great article!! I enjoy running and this article contained some very helpful information and answered some questions that I have had. I have recently been slowing down on my pace and have become frustrated and wondered why this was happening. I have also noticed that some days I am able to perform better than others and this too is frustrating. Through reading this article I think that it is due to my day before diet and I can now see how important it is for me to be strict with my diet, especially when I have a long run the next day. I am like you in that I do not eat a lot before a run and find that if I do I end up cramping and having a miserable run. I love the chocolate milk recovery and it works well for me. I first tried it when I read an article about the recovery drink that Michael Phelps uses and how it was patterned after chocolate milk.
    Great article...thank you for sharing your knowledge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this article!! I read up on your blog very often because seems like when I need advice the most or to confirm something it is always in your blog. When I read this article I was pretty proud of myself. When I have a race on Saturday I start eating my carbs on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I eat a piece of toast 2 hours before race so I am not starving through the whole thing. I love how you commented on chocolate milk. That is my main running drink, right after my race I have family members or friends have a chocolate milk ready for me. I believe it is easy to take and keep down and repairs your body at the same time. There was a lot of great advice in this article and will continue to keep looking on it for running advice. I need as much help as I can get. Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always knew it was important to eat right, but this article gave me additional insight that really helped me realize how important it is to eat right at the right time. i didn't realize that healthy foods eaten at the wrong time can be harmful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really likd ed the part where the she, "the beat way to eat right is to think about what you are eating all the time." Not many people, including myself, gives a big effort to eat and restore sugar at the right times as described in this blog. I also have never heard that it can take up to a couple of days before you are properly hydrated. I really liked this article and found it veru useful.

    ReplyDelete