Thursday, June 3, 2010

Is Sunscreen Dangerous? Yes, If you Use the Wrong Brand


It has been pounded into our heads to always use sunscreen before going outdoors, (no one wants aging skin and cancer), yet it is the sun that helps us produce Vitamin D, which is essential to a healthy being. In fact, Vitamin D helps reduce the risk of aging and cancer. Complicate that with the fact that many sunscreens may not be blocking out the radiation they claim to, and actually increasing your risk of disease. So, what's a person to do?
The most prevalent rays coming from the sun are UVA rays. These are the tanning rays. Though they are less intense than UVB, they penetrate the skin more deeply and cause skin aging and wrinkling. They also damage skin cells called kerantinocytes in the basal layer of the epidermis where most skin cancers occur.1
Until recently, most sunscreens did not block UVA rays and some still don’t. They only block UVB rays, the ones responsible for reddening of the skin and sunburn, but also for Vitamin D production. This means these sunscreens block beneficial Vitamin D production and allow dangerous skin damaging radiation.
UVB rays help us produce Vitamin D are most prevalent between 10 am and 4 pm. In excess, they also damage your skin year round, especially at high altitudes. By damaging the skin’s cellular DNA, excessive UV radiation produces genetic mutations that can lead to skin cancer.
With this information, people mistakenly have decided to limit all sun exposure, or to slather on sunscreen every time they go outside. This causes Vitamin D levels to plummet and yes, diseases relating to low Vitamin D levels to skyrocket.
So what is a person to do?
Got Sun?
First of all – it makes sense to get some sun. You and I don’t need to see a research study to know that we feel better when we have been outside and we have gotten some sun. There is a reason people are healthier in the summertime. We aren’t cooped up inside sharing germs and we increase our Vitamin D levels that are crucial to a healthy immune system. The sun has provided us with light, and heat, and UVB rays for a long time.  It isn’t the sun that is the problem; it is us. People over expose themselves and they do it too often.  One of the leading risk factors for skin cancer is sunburn, any sunburn from childhood to the present greatly increases the risk of skin cancer.
Moderation
When you get sun, do it in moderation. Expose your skin, legs, back, arms, etc. for 10 to 20 minutes depending on your skin type and the sun’s intensity. When your skin feels warm, or you have a very, very light pink hue, put your clothes back on. Vitamin D production stops when you begin to turn pink. Now you have optimum Vitamin D you don't need any more sun.
UVA/UVB Protection
But what if you want to stay out longer? Now use a hat, clothes, and a high quality block. Make sure it blocks UVA and UVB rays. Many sunscreens say multi spectrum, broad spectrum, or UVA/UVB protection, but since there is no agreement on how much protection any of these terms have, they may or may not be effective.

Unfortunately, the SPF label on the label only pertains to UVB rays. There is no protection factor for UVA radiation on labels, though the Food and Drug Administration has proposed a system of one to four stars, so you really don't know what you are getting for UVA protection. Do try finding sun block for UVA and UVB rays instead of sunscreen because some protection is better than no protection.
Toxic Chemicals
There is also quite a controversy on the ingredients in many sunscreens. Organic filters form a thin, protective film, and absorb the UV radiation before it penetrates the skin. Inorganic filters are insoluble particles that reflect the UV away from the skin. Most sunscreens are a mixture of both. Many of these sunscreens contain ingredients approved by the FDA, but they are what others term as toxic chemicals. For a list of these  click here   and scroll down about 1/3 of the page.
Eat Well
More and more we are finding research that eating fresh fruits and vegetables decrease the risk of sun damage. Foods that are natural sources of Vitamin A, can help your skin to become twice as resistant to ultraviolet radiation. Studies have not found the same results when you take a synthetic version of Vitamin A found in many vitamin pills.
Isn’t it funny that tomatoes, watermelon, and other foods rich in natural Vitamin A (through their concentrations of beta-carotene) grow in the summer when we are out in the sun? Our ancestors benefited from eating from the garden during the summertime. They were out in the sun all day, yet they didn’t get skin cancer as much as we do. (Of course, they didn’t wear bikinis either.) They covered up.
Moderation is the key. Let you body do what it needs to do by feeding it well, and living a well-balanced, active life.
References and More Information

If You Use Sunscreen, This is Urgent Information You Must Have click here
1. http://www.skincancer.org/understanding-uva-and-uvb.html


Consumer Reports Sunscreen Labels
Why You Need Vitamin D
Get a free copy of Vitamin D: Are You Getting Enough from Berkley University of California click here
Low Vitamin D tied to Cognitive Decline
from Web MD

Healthy Sunscreens and Mosquito Repellents



If you can't get out in the sun Vitamin D Spray

23 comments:

  1. I had no idea that sunscreen blocks out vitamin d production. No wonder we see so many people come to the pharmacy with vitamin d deficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's interesting that certain types of fruits and vegetables help to prevent skin damage from the sun. As well, I didn't know that certain sunscreens didn't always do what they claim to do. I'll be sure to keep both of these (and the rest of the article) in mind before going outside in the sun in the future.

    Isaac Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is interesting I would always pay attention to the sunscreen that we had but never thought to look at the sun block instead. I never knew it blocked out the Vitamin D or reduced what we would get nor was I aware that this was something we got from the sun or fruits and vegetables. I will for sure pay attention more to the amount of sun I get and my sun block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know that a little bit of sun without sunscreen is ok. I am a red head and all of my life I have been slathered with sunscreen from head to toe, but now I have a ten minute excuse to get my Vitamin D's without the grease of sunscreen tagging along.
    Kellie Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I had no idea that there were so many downsides to using sunscreen. Like most people, I was just lectured to keep putting sun screen on all the time. I guess the saying is true, "everything in moderation."
    Lindsey Grandstaff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, more parents need to read about this information. Ever since the time kids are walking the parents are putting on or lecturing how important sunscreen is, but now here's a change. I never knew about the different rays of the sun and the different effects it has to our bodies. It's good to know!
    Jennifer Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really good information, and very important information as well. I didn't know that there were a lot of negatives about sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is some great information. I had no clue. I will be paying more attention from here on out. I turn 'pink' fairly quick so now I know that is when Vitamin D stops its production.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this has been very surprising to me. I have always thought that the more the better concept applied to sunscreen. I think that my mom should read this. She has always caked on the sunblock thinking it was best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO glad that you posted this information. It was a huge surprise to me! I always hear how necessary sunscree is, but the way you said to use it makes perfect sense! I will definitely remember this and inform others. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen family members who have gotten skin cancer. I DO NOT want to go down that road. I had to watch my mom get her entire face lasered off because she had so much skin cancer. She was in so much pain. I think that sun is very important and everyone does feel better in the sun but I am not going to stop putting on sun screen after all that. I vote for taking vitiamns and eating healthy along with sun screen!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always known that we get Vitamin D from the sun, and that it is important to get Vitamin D, but I have never thought about sunscreen keeping us from Vitamin D. I will pay much more attention to what I use to keep myself from being sunburnt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very strict with putting sunscreen on myself and my son. He has yet to find out what a sunburn even feels like. I had no idea that not all sunscreens were created equal! I will definitely keep this article in mind when I'm trying to find a good sunblock!

    Katie Winchester

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know that fruits and vegetables help to reduce sun damage! I need to load up on these because I love the sun, and probably stay out longer then I should.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea their was a difference between sun block and sunscreen. I enjoyed how it was written and how the facts where given. I also found it interesting that vitamin A helps prevent skin cancer, that's awesome! Give me some watermelon and sun in moderation and I'm going to be a happy girl all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always wondered why skin cancer has become a more prevalent problem for us in our society now. Is it because the sun is more dangerous? Have we devolved as a species? Is something missing in the atmosphere? The answer to all of these questions is No. Ever since vitamin supplements have become popular, nobody really eats healthy any more. But if we eat fruits and vegetables (as stated in this article) we can stop skin cancer, and live healthier.

    Nathan Howes

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have problems keeping mt Vit D level in therapeutic range and it is frustrating! I have to make sure I make it outside everyday for a few minutes to get what my body needs to make Vit D but I am very fair skinned and I burn easily so I also lather on the sunscreen. I did not know that your body stops producing Vit D when your skin turns pink from too much sun. That is very interesting. I loved the information on what to look for in sunscreens. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was interested in this article because my family and I spend a lot of time in the sun. interesting sunscreens blocking out vitamin D production and also interesting that eating foods high in Vit A can help counteract the harmful rays from the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always thought sunscreen kept out only the harmful aspects of the sun never thought about it blocking out what our body needs from the sun as well. This is very usefully info and am glad I read it.
    Skyla R

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know, but it makes sense that there are toxic chemicals in sun block. It makes me wonder what other chemicals are in everything around us that we use daily that we are unaware of. I also find it interesting that our ancestors generally did ok in life without all the super drugs and medicines that are around today. It seems our ancestors obtained vitamins the way vitamins were originally intended to be obtained. I am grateful for advancing technology in medicine etc...

    ReplyDelete
  21. THis article was very interesting. My wife always buys the sunscreen but this year I did notice the sunscreen had both UVA and UVB protection. The part about the fruit being a natural protector is amazing. I had no idea. The way our body works is great.
    Clint Schiffman

    ReplyDelete
  22. I knew there was a reason that I never liked putting on sunscreen. Though I'll admit that I sometimes went more than the 10-20 minutes recommended here. I'll have to remember to check for specific sunblock protection without the dangerous chemicals, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I guess whenever something is made that benefits you there has to be a downside. But I guess the golden rule comes into play again, only use things in moderation! I guess I should start drinking some milk that has Vitamin D in it! haha

    ReplyDelete