Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Case Against Soft Drinks


I know Americans love their soft drinks, but have you ever stopped to think, “What is in that drink?” The answer might surprise you. It doesn’t matter if it is regular or diet. There are somethings in all kinds of sodas that you should know.


The first ingredient in any soda is carbonated water. Most manufactured drinks create this carbonation by artificially by forcing carbon dioxide into the water. This may change the pH in your mouth to weaken and slowly dissolve the enamel in your teeth.

Research has shown that even though diet drinks resulted in less tooth decay, they were no less acidic than regular drinks and contributed to destroying children’s teeth from the outside. Studies found that teenagers drinking four or more glasses a day increased their risk of decay by 513 percent, which is significant considering 92 percent of 14-year-olds consume fizzy drinks.1


The next big concern in sodas is sugar. (You drink diet? You may need to be more concerned. Hang on, I’ll tell you why.) In the article “Misleading Fat Labels - When 2% fat is really 40% fat, we learned that smart consumers go to straight to the label to find the truth about how much fat there is in the foods they are eating. The same concept is true with sugar in sodas.

A serving size for soft drinks is usually 8 ounces or a cup. The bottle of Sunkist I have in my hand has about 130 calories per serving, but it has 2.5 servings in the bottle. Most people don’t stop drinking at 8 ounces; they finish the whole thing which means they are drinking 325 calories, not 130. Since there is usually no protein or fat in sodas, all of these calories must come from sugar. That is about 20 teaspoons worth, almost a half a cup of sugar! Most sodas have at least 12-15 teaspoons of sugar (a little more than a fourth of a cup). That is a glycemic index nightmare!

When your blood sugar rises quickly, your pancreas produces insulin to try to clean up the mess and get the sugar out of the bloodstream. H2O is taken from cells in other parts of your body to try to water it down (so much for great hydration).  In a little while, your blood sugar drops just as fast as it was rising. The end result is that the almost half a cup of sugar you drank is easily converted to fat. Also, because your blood sugar has dropped, you're hungry and ready for another snack, even though you could already be packing on extra pounds. 

To make matters worse, when people go through this sugar- insulin cycle too many times, they get problems like, insulin resistance or sensitivity, irritability, depression, headaches, or lethargy. They also  get diseases like diabetes, heart illness, and obesity. These are diseases that kill people, and quickly.

After saying all of that, I hate to add insult to injury, but the type of sugar in soft drinks is also a huge negative. Most soft drinks are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. Fructose is a sugar our bodies are not designed to digest in large amounts and our nation has increased its fructose consumption by more than 10,673% between the years 1970 to 2005.  Fructose is a major problem for the liver, and in studies this type of sweetener actually lessons the effect of the hormone called leptin which is supposed to tell you that you’re full, and stimulates the hormone ghrelin, which tells you you’re hungry. 

Check out this amazing clip that explains why sugar is the culprit you wouldn’t usually think of when it comes to cholesterol and heart disease. You'll be surprised at sugar's role.  It isn’t what you think!

Diet soft drinks are sweetened with artificial sweeteners like aspartame. Some of the common brands of sweeteners that use aspartame are Equal, Nutrasweet,and Splenda. These products still stimulate your brain and digestive system by making them think sugar calories are coming. But they never do so your brain looks for sugar throughout the day to fill that need. Studies have shown that those who use artificial sweeteners, actually eat more sugar during the day than people who don’t use artificial sweeteners. Even more sugar, can mean even more calories, even more weight gain, even more disease, even more death.

If you think I am kidding, watch this video which is finally free for the public to view. After a few minutes you won’t let you kids consume artificial sweeteners again.

Of course there are other items in sodas like caffeine and phosphoric acid.

Caffeine is the most widely used psychoactive stimulant drug in the world. It is found naturally in some foods where it acts as a natural pesticide that paralyzes and kills certain insects feeding on the plants.2
I think we all understand that it can be addictive. I had a roommate in college that went through caffeine withdrawals when she tried to give up diet coke. We didn’t like her very much for a few weeks. 

Phosphoric acid is an acidifying agent used to give colas their tangy flavor and is also commonly used to remove rust. Because of the addition of phosphoric acid in soft drinks, they are actually more acidic than lemon juice and vinegar. This acid has been linked to lower bone density and risk for osteoporosis and bone disease. Aside from the risk of osteoporosis, cola consumption has also been linked to chronic kidney disease and to kidney stones.3

The bottom line is that there is nothing nutritionally good for you or your loved ones in soft drinks. Not only are these empty calories not beneficial, they can be dangerous. They cost a lot and take the place of other more nutritious foods. 


34 comments:

  1. WOW. I will think twice before I drink my favorite soda again. I used to have a Pepsi everyday. I have cut down to about once a week. I cut soda out of my life because I was trying to loose weight but not for any other reason. This article gives you alot to think about. I will not be changing to diet soda. I have always thought about changing to diet soda but could never get used to the taste. I now know it is not a good alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow. I knew that soft drinks are not healthy but I didn't know that diet drinks are as bad as they are. I was very surprised by just how bad it is and will be cutting down on how much soda I drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how many gross ingredients there are in sodas, and the nasty things they can do to your teeth and body! I have heard people say many times that diet sodas are no better than regular sodas, but I never really knew why. Your blog post really helped to explain why diet sodas are so bad and how they trigger your brain to look for sugar for the whole day, basically forcing you to eat more sugar than you wanted to in the first place! Thanks for the eye-opener!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew soda was bad for you, but not that bad. I read this article initially because my husband is a soda addict. I have tried everything to get him to stop, so I was looking to see if I could give him some more convincing reasons to stop drinking it. I think I have found some. Well, I guess we will see anyways. I knew there was a lot of sugar in them, but it had never been put in such a straight forward manner for me to be able to tell it was that much. Thanks for the information. My soda will definitely be diminished in my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never realized how bad soda was for you, I knew it had a lot of sugar, but WOW. When I was younger I drank a lot of soda, but I don't any more. I would buy soda on rare occasions for my kids, like b-day parties or when we had pizza, but now I will be looking for another alternative for these occasions. This was a very informative blog, thank you.
    Judy P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been a big fan of diet coke and I learned in my nutrition class how bad Aspartame is for us. It kind of slowed down the amount of coke I would drink, but I started to drink it more again and now after reading this and having someone close to me ask me to not drink as much diet coke I really will watch what I drink. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man I'm glad I don't really drink soda pop because the stuff that's in it. Never thought about how bad soda pop really is for you whether it's diet or not. I have had any for about 4 months straight and I really don't miss it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been trying to cut down on my pop consumption for some time now and I will admit it is not going very well. I know it is bad for me and yet I am addicted. I am struggling more and more with leaving it alone and now I read this article. It just adds to the knowledge that I already have about how bad it is affecting my health. I must be more determined and break the habit!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to think it was a joke, but caffeine really is addictive! During the beginning of Fall semester, I tried to give up caffeine. I thought it would be an easy change to make, but it certainly was not. I felt so tired without it, and eventually ended up going back to my old ways. Reading this article has given me plenty of reasons to finally end my toxic relationship with Diet Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this one too and it is scary! I will never let my children drink another sprite as long as I can control it! I am making a commitment to never drink a diet Dr. Pepper as long as I live! I am going in to Dental Hygiene, so it is good that I am making this commitment! This is really scary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bubbles in your cup are bubbles on your butt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Artificial Sweetners. Really?? I had no idea. That was very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew that the amount of sugar in carbonated drinks was an unhealthy amount, but I didn't realize it was this bad. That's why I avoid carbonated and sugary drinks. In this case, what you don't know can hurt you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew that soda was bad for you but this sheds new light on the subject. By actually breaking the ingredients down and listing the effects, it really paints the picture of how unhealthy soda is. The sad thing is that it is, with all of that sugar, it becomes addictive. I know that now I'm going to think twice before I reach for that Dr. Pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually drink a soda a day, but now I'm going to try and cut back after reading this post. I have known that soda was not healthy, but this puts it more in perspective of how unhealthy it is. I am definitely going to try to stop drinking soda all together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really have a hard time drinking sodas, even if it's a diet drink! I like to have one 12 oz. can of pop about everyday, but I think it's time to change that bad habit. I always knew that it was severely bad for your teeth, my dentist has been telling me that since I was about 5 years old. He also told me that Gatorade was just as bad, if not worse for the enamel on your teeth! Someone needs to invent some soft drink that is healthy and actually tastes good. I don't think I've ever had a healthy drink that I actually crave to have and really tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post is right on and its amazing how bad soda is for someone. I use to drink multiple sodas a day and it was affecting my health greatly. I have only had a few sodas in a 4 month period and feel great. Not only have I loss weight but feel more energized and healthier overall.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had never learned much about high fructose corn syrup, and that it is hard for the body to digest. Also the sugar replacers telling the brain that sugar is coming. I thought that it was really interesting that those who use sugar replacer actually end up eating more sugar than those who eat sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a great post, I knew diet soft drinks weren't good, but I really wasn't sure why. My husband drinks a ton of soft drinks, I shared some of this with him. He isn't likely to change now... but maybe eventually he will!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had no Idea that soft drinks were linked to so many health conditions. It really makes me think twice about drinking soft drinks

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this article. I am going to print it out and hang it on my fridge! I avoid soft drinks but when asked why I respond, "Because they are bad for you." Beyond that, I don't have much to back up my claim. When my kids ask why, I tell them it makes their bones weak and leave it at that. Now, I have a lot more to say about why we don't drink soda! I can't wait to tell my family why we don't drink soda!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW. I knew that soda wasn't good for you, even the diet variety, however I never thought about all the stuff that this article addressed. Like I didn't know about the frutose stuff. I just figured it was some kind of sugar. Not one that your body isn't designed to digest in large amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had no idea that soda will eat away at your enamel and cause tooth decay.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I knew soda was not the best thing for you, but geez! I will definately think more about what I am consuming next time I go to drink a soda, or worse a diet soda! More articles like this need to be published so people are aware of exactly the different kinds of things they are putting into their bodies and how harmful they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hence the reason why I choose to stay away from soda pop as much as possible. Occasionally drinking soda as a treat to myself I don't see as a big problem, but I don't drink my treat very often for the reason that it is like diabetes in a can waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have always thought that soft drinks were bad for you, and I drink them very rarely; but I had no idea that they were THAT bad for the body. After reading this article, I would be okay with never drinking a soda again. The thought of it is kind of disgusting to me now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great article! Loved it! I couldn't have said it better myself....written very well

    ReplyDelete
  28. Soda is horrible. It just tastes so good. I like the way the article was written.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very great article to smash sodas into the ground! I enjoyed it! The component about fructose was really great! I know it is something to avoid, but I never knew why...and now I do! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am a regular Mt. Dew drinker and I drink at least one can of soda everyday. I always knew they werent good for you. But wow I didnt realize that bad I kind of just tried to ignore it but how can you ignore this?! Great insightful article.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I knew soda was not healthy, but did not realize to what extent it actually negatively affected my body. I only drink about a soda a month and I'm very happy that I do. I think if people were better informed and presented with an alternative, like flavored water, maybe their consumption of soda would decrease.
    Stephanie Bruggink

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was actually aware of the effects of artificial sweeteners. I've done a lot of looking into it because I love my Diet Coke like the next addict. I have greatly reduced my consumption of it and am working to completely eliminate it from my diet. Wish me luck! -Melinda Rasmussen

    ReplyDelete
  33. I knew soda was bad, but I had no idea it was that bad. I stopped drinking soda over two years ago. I don't know if it was really from not drinking soda or if it was just in my head, but I felt much better physically after about three weeks of not drinking soda. I've also started checking labels and looking for aspartame and avoid anything with it in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. birra on line vendita

    ReplyDelete